17-time Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest champ Joey Chestnut allowed to defend his title while on probation for drunkenly slapping man in bar

Last Updated: May 21, 2026By
image

Competitive eating star Joey Chestnut is set to return to the Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest this July 4, even as he serves a probation sentence stemming from a misdemeanor battery case in Indiana.

The 17-time champion of the Coney Island event pleaded guilty on April 20 to misdemeanor battery after an incident at an Indiana bar. His attorney said he was accused of slapping a man during a night out. He was sentenced to 180 days of probation in Hamilton County.

“It truly was just a misunderstanding,” attorney Mario Massillamany told The Associated Press. “Joey understood that he wanted to accept responsibility for his actions, and he did.”

Court records and reporting indicate that Chestnut told police he had been drinking and did not fully remember the altercation. His lawyer later said that the statement was taken out of context and that Chestnut was nervous during questioning before he had legal counsel.

Despite the case, a judge has granted Chestnut permission to travel out of state, clearing the way for him to compete in New York and defend his Mustard Belt title on Coney Island.

The Nathan’s contest is overseen by Major League Eating, which confirmed the incident would not affect his eligibility. “This incident did not violate Major League Eating’s code of conduct, as it occurred outside any organizational event or activity and it was addressed by local authorities,” said Richard Shea, president and co-founder of Major League Eating.

Chestnut’s return comes after a turbulent stretch in his competitive eating career. He did not compete in the 2024 Nathan’s contest after a dispute tied to a sponsorship deal with plant-based food company Impossible Foods, which led to a temporary ban from the event. He reclaimed the title in 2025, consuming 70.5 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes to secure another victory.

Recenly, Chestnut also won the 2026 Ultimate Bologna Showdown in Tennessee for a third consecutive year, setting a world record by consuming 16 pounds of the sausage in eight minutes.

The July 4 contest will mark his latest appearance in the long-running Independence Day event, where he remains the most decorated champion in its history.

editor's pick

latest video

news via inbox

Nulla turp dis cursus. Integer liberos  euismod pretium faucibua

Leave A Comment